Monday, October 18, 2010

The Story of the Wine Bottles


I had honestly forgotten I had these. They were gifts from friends. I do want to set the record straight. When I was given these bottles, they were empty!

As you know, I have a passion for melting glass, and that does include glass from recycled bottles. I let it be known that I would love to have any and all empty wine bottles. In answer to my request, these bottles came to me during one week.

As they were given to me, I put them on my kitchen counter near my dishwasher. There they sat in all their glory waiting for me to put them in hot water to soak off their labels. The most I was able to do was to rinse them out. I left them in their place of honor on the counter hoping to get to them very soon.

As luck would have it, my dishwasher broke. I called the repairman, and he was dispatched to my house that afternoon. I had things to finish in the eating area and the living room, so I would pass by the repairman as he worked on the stubborn dishwasher. I noticed every time I walked by, he would give me a strange look. He'd look at me then at the counter, and then he'd shake his head.

He was very polite and reserved as he handed me the bill. I paid the bill, and he shook his head in disapproval. I was puzzled. I didn't think I had offended him in any way, but, he seemed in a hurry to get away.

It was later only later, as I loaded the newly repaired dishwasher, that I saw what he was seeing. He saw all the wine bottles on the counter - all 18 of them! I started to laugh. No wonder he was so anxious to get away from the woman who drank all the wine!!! I had to laugh.
It was then that I put the bottles in the garage and forgot all about them. No more will they sit on my counter--especially when the repair man is coming to fix the dishwasher. Never again!!!
It really was funny!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha, that's funny! I have quite a few wine and alcohol bottles waiting to be smashed up, recycled and melted into beads. But not the stockpile you have. They sit collecting dust in my studio and garage

Lisa Rippee said...

Love it!!

Right Turn ArtWerks said...

That's a hoot Mallory!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Buwahahaha - I find this really funny because a neighbor of mine used to melt these in a kiln in her garage and make cheese boards and olive dishes. Well a bunch of us at preschool would save our empties and bring them to school and load them into her trunk. You can imagine the stares with preschoolers, a bunch of wine bottles and some moms - God knows what people thought we were doing!

rosebud101 said...

That is a riot!!!!!