Saturday, July 30, 2016

The Joy of a Farmer's Market

Today, 
after daily Mass, 
I'll be driving to one of our two local 
farmer's markets.
This market, that where I plan to shop, 
is the bigger of the two farmer's markets.
I live in a semi-rural town.
We are surrounded by farms that are getting eaten up by the city 
as it grows.
Our other farmer's market is open only on Mondays for 3 hours.
I love that market because of its size.
It's small, and I've gotten to know some of the merchants.
That market is where I buy my worm poop.
My garden has grown well because of this product.
Tomorrow, I'm looking for green beans.  
The time has come to make pickled green beans.
I plan to work on the beans tomorrow.  
I found a great recipe.
Click HERE for the recipe.
There are many others, but this one suits my needs.
Most markets do not have resellers, at least not here, and this is a danger with farmer's markets.
It's a good idea to get to know your markets and your sellers.
You want to make sure the food is what you want.
Is it organic?  They should be able to tell you about their growing process.
Do they use fertilizers or bug killers?
Listen to them.
If you like what you hear, buy your food from them.
If you don't, or if there's doubt, move on to the next stall.
In the meantime, enjoy your trip to the market.
I carry my own shopping bags.
That does help.

1 comment:

Kokopelli said...

The recipe sounds tasty. Will have to try that, because in about four weeks we will swim in green beans.