Monday, January 4, 2016

Things That are happening in my Kitchen: a Tutorial on Roasting Garlic in the Microwave, Joke's on Me, Growing Basil, and Decluttering

Today, I had to go out and go to the grocery store. 
I had planned on making a pizza with a cauliflower crust.
I picked up the ingredients that included the fresh basil.
I have been sick, so I've been reading a lot and visiting sites such as Pinterest.
On one of the sites I visited, I saw a quick article about growing your own herbs in your kitchen.
The article said something to this effect,
"If you want to grow herbs in the kitchen, take the fresh herbs you buy at the grocery store, put them in fresh water.  In a couple of weeks, you will see roots beginning to grow."
All right, this is a work in progress.
I'll be showing updates.  I love basil, and I would love to have a steady flow of this herb.  As of today, there are no roots.

Now for the tutorial


In early December, I bought this little cooking dish at a craft show.  It was originally made for cooking eggs in the microwave.  It will only hold one egg, and the potter told me to only cook that egg for 50 seconds, not one second more.
You don't need this particular dish.  You can use any dish you like.
That's the first disclaimer in this tutorial.  There will be others.


Disclaimer #2 
If you don't watch the time on your microwave, this is what can happen.
Burnt garlic, and it stinks.

Now for the Tutorial

Step 1:  Spray non-stick spray on the inside of the dish.
Step 2:  With lid on, if you have a lid, microwave the dish on high for 2 minutes.
Step 3: Stir and cook again on high for 2 minutes.
Step 4:  Stir and cook on high for 1 minute.
Step 5:  Stir and cook on high for 30 seconds.
Let cool.

Disclaimer:  Ha! Ha!  Joke's on me.
I didn't realize I was dehydrating the garlic cloves, but that's exactly what happens.
It's still good, but you will need to grate it to use it.  
I like the taste.  It tastes like roasted garlic that's been dehydrated!

Last, but not least:
I joined a group on Facebook called
The page publishes a monthly calendar with a chore to do each day.  The goal is to spend 15 minutes decluttering a single area of your home each day.  
Yesterday's chore was to clean the silverware drawer.
Here's what it looks like right now.
One of these days, I'll show you how it looks after I spend my 15 minutes cleaning it out.


 15 minutes might be enough to do this chore.  If not, I can afford a few more minutes.
So, for now,  talk to you later.

No comments: