Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Learning to Core Beads by Hand - Yikes!

So far, this has been an interesting experience.  I'm learning to add a copper core to my large hole beads without using a bead coring machine.  Here's what I did.  I bought some good tubing on Etsy, then I rounded up some old big hole beads.  I've broken a lot of beads as I have worked on developing a technique to line the beads.  This picture does deserve a little bit of an explanation.  I didn't want to cut out bead caps, so I used washers.  The holes of the washers were too big.  The cores didn't fit properly.  Well, that's part of the experience though, isn't it?  I had heard there were videos on YouTube that would show you how to core a bead without a machine.  Couldn't find them, so off I went.


I used dapping tools and hammers.
I decided to wait and make bead caps later.  These were okay for a first try, but they need to improve.
I'm still working on technique, but I am getting better.


















It's still a work in progress, but my cores are better.  I'm still breaking beads, so it's a good thing I have a lot of fuglies in my collection.  Practice! Practice!  Practice!



Soon, things will improve!  Just have to work on that flare a bit more. 

Progress photos will come later when there's more to show!!!




No comments: