Thursday, January 1, 2015

Resolutions! Smesolutions!

Resolutions!  Smesolutions!



THEY
DON'T 
WORK!

Neuroscientists have found that in order to develop a new habit or change and existing habit,
the time frame in which you must work is 
6
weeks.

This is what resolutions are about::

Changing or developing 

NEW HABITS!

Listen to what you hear this New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.

"I'm making a resolution to loose weight this year."
"I'm making a resolution to run a marathon."
"I resolve to read more."
"I'm going to save money."

By day two or three, these types of statements are usually forgotten.

In order to change a behavior and develop a new one to replace the old one,
you must 
ENGAGE
that which you want to change and replace it with a different behavior.

Anyone can say, "I want to loose weight this year."
In order to succeed, you must develop a plan to loose that unwanted weight.
In developing your plan, you must hold yourself accountable.

Here's how you do it.
State your goal giving your self a reasonable time frame in which to work, a reasonable goal to achieve, and a means to achieve your goal.

This is your basic goal.
By the end of January, 2015, I will loose 8 pounds. 

The next question to ask yourself is:: How will you achieve your goal?

I will loose 8 pounds by::
logging the food I eat in a notebook,
calculating the calories I ingest,
and
eating the recommended amount of calories per day.

Again, this is reasonable.
You've set a basic goal.  Now you are telling yourself how you will achieve that goal.  That's accountability.

I will weigh myself once a week and log my weight, weekly.
I will calculate the number of pounds I lost.
I will add walking to my daily exercise plan.
I will walk for 20 minutes per day.

Now, you have a plan!
This plan can be developed more definitively.
I have only given you a framework in which to develop your plan.

Resolutions are only words.
Goals are actions!
Through developing and planning our goals, we hold ourselves responsible for our actions.
Change might take longer than six weeks.
I don't know, but as soon as we see progress being made, 
we are reinforced and able to work harder towards our goals.

Resolutions!  Smesolutions!
Goals change habits.
Words are just words.

1 comment:

Kokopelli said...

Happy New Year! Just uploaded my New Year's post: http://kokopellidesign.blogspot.de/2015/01/alles-gute-fur-2015happy-new-year.html No resolutions! :)