Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Pixie Undercover

I haven't told anyone this, except for my doctor and 1,000 of my close Facebook friends,
but I think Pixie saved my life one night last week.

If you don't know,
I am diabetic.
My doctor is trying a new way to treat the disease.  Rather than working with insulin at each meal, I take two insulin shots a day.

It's a lot of trial and error, and I have gotten some lows with which neither my doctor nor I am comfortable.

Normally, Pixie doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night.
One night, I woke to find her snuggling with me.
She wasn't on the bed, but she moved her head under the covers, in a position so that my hand was on her head, very near those ears that require so many ear rubs per day.  She was squirming.  I had to wake up and rub her ears.  I wasn't happy, but then, I knew she must have to go potty.  It was 3:33 AM.  

We went downstairs, and I let her out. 
She was so happy, she came in running, and I followed her upstairs to the kitchen.

Yes, she's the dominant one.

I gave her a treat, and as I was tossing treats to her, I realized I was awfully hungry for this time of night.  I went upstairs to test.  My sugars were at 70.  Not good. 
I keep small cans of pop on hand for times like this.  Usually, half a can will send my sugars up in the slightly high range.  So I drank what I thought was half a can.  I went back to bed, and fell asleep.
When I woke up the next morning, I tested again.
My sugars were at 75!
I checked the can of pop, and there was nothing left in it.  
I was low even with all that sugar in my system!

Of course, I was able to treat the morning low, and I was okay.
I soon realized that if Pixie had not wakened me up when she did,
I might not have wakened up the next morning.
My sugars, without that pop, would have gone to a very low and dangerous level.

So, I guess, Pixie did save my life.  
She's a good girl, and she got lots of ear rubs from me and lots of treats!

No comments: