Tuesday, March 31, 2015

WIP aka Work in Progress....

If you do a search on Etsy using the key words
succulent wreath, you will come up with a plethora of images depicting live succulent wreaths.
Trust me,
they are beautiful, too, and well worth the money.
I'd love one, but in my house, if plants want to live, they have to adjust to little water quickly.
I'd show you some of them, but there aren't many left. 
I decided that live succulent wreaths were probably not for me.

However, a polymer clay succulent wreath, might be workable for me.
So now, I have a WIP.
It's almost finished, and here's how I made it.

I started out with a very thick, cardboard frame.
It's 12 inches and I purchased it at Hobby Lobby. 
Then I began to fill it up with polymer clay succulents.
I made the succulents first, drawing from photos on the internet for different types of succulents. 
I made the succulents, then I baked them in my toaster oven.
When they cooled, I used E-6000 to glue them on the frame.


I added different colors to the gray greens of the natural succulents,
and, I really liked the blend of colors.
I just kept working and working, and now,
my wreath is almost finished.

It might look complete, but it's not.
There are a few spaces that need to be filled in, but that won't take long.
Then I wondered,
would these look great as pendants?
What did I have to loose?
Nothing but time.
Here's the result of that time.

I didn't realize how much harder it would be to make the succulents in miniature form.
These pendants took a long time to make.

Then, I thought, I love roses.
How about some roses on the pendants?

I hope to get these into my store after Easter.
Making things small is a challenge.
I plan to add a cross shape soon.
I think I'd like to wear that.

What do you think?

No comments: