Monday, April 18, 2016

This That and The Other on Aging

I took quite a few other photos because I wanted to show off my new necklace.  
The necklace is made from hollow beads that I made using polymer clay.
That's just the background story.
As I went through the photos, I realized,
gasp!
It's happened!
I. HAVE. GROWN. A.

WADDLE!!!!

This was the best photo that I took that did not show off my newly acquired,
uh-hum,
waddle.  
At first I was appalled, then I realized
that not every one lives long enough to develop a
waddle
or hair on their chiny chin chin.
These, ummm, developments are some of the gifts of old age.
In the medical community, everyone over 50 is classified as geriatric, did you know that?
So, if you are over the age of 50, 
you. are. old.
So, maybe, it's time to start enjoying the privileges of old age!
What?  There are privileges?

I know.  It's hard to believe that besides the aches and pains, there are things to enjoy in your "old age."

1) There are discounts for seniors at different stores.  You have to watch the adds, but they are there.

2) If you play your cards right, you can get babysitting privileges for the "grands," if you want to do that.  

3) Because you do have aches and pains, you no longer have to be the first one to volunteer at church for the different ministries.  You can sit back and talk about how much you knees are hurting you.

4) Many restaurants have days, mornings, etc where seniors eat for reduced rates.  They also have menus for seniors.  Usually you get a little less food, but that's okay, most of the time, I don't eat nearly as much as I used to eat.

5) If you find something funky that you want to wear, even if it's different, you can wear it.  People think it's just her age!  But you know better. (I'm referring to my new necklace.)


6) At this age, it's easier to downsize.  People expect it, and when you don't have to mow the lawn or trim the hedge, you have more time to do the things you want to do.

7) There are days and times when the movie theaters have rates for seniors!  Go to a show!

8) If you're retired, you can sleep in!  That's always a plus!

9) You can tell stories about the "good old days."

10) Now you can check the obituaries, and you should, because people you know might be in them. 
(I had an 90 year old aunt once who loved to go to funerals.  That was her social life.  She outlived most of her friends, so there weren't many of her friends at her funeral.  She was 96 when she died.)
See, I just told a story!

Once you realize that you have already lived more years than you are going to live, and it does take some acceptance, you can find a wealth of peace in knowing that there is still a lot of fun to be had
in your "old age."

Proudly proclaim your aches and pains.
Lift your chin so the world can see your waddle.
Don't be afraid to pluck your chin.
 Not everyone gets old, and if you are, you are blessed.
Proclaim your blessings to the world.

No comments: