Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lilies of the Valley and Memories


I can hear the radio coming from the neighbor's house. The Beatles are singing "I Want to Hold Your Hand." I'm sitting in the dark on the small cement fence in front of my house on 7th Street in Albuquerque.

I am waiting. I dab on a bit more of Avon's Lilly of the Valley perfume cream. The mosquitoes are buzzing me lusting after the scent of the lilies of the valley. Ouch! I'm bit again.

My mother is in the house laughing with her sister and watching TV. I can hear Lucy whining about something.
So many sounds and scents.

The lilac bush on the side of the house is in full bloom. I drink in the scent of the flowers wanting to wash my hands in the scent. The night is still warm from the hot day. At the end of the block, I see the car. He's on his way to work for a couple of hours. He slows down as he drives past me. He smiles and waves. I smile and wave back. Nothing more. Sweet and simple. My first love and soon to be my first kiss. I go in the house. I join my mother and my aunt and watch Lucy. I go to bed. My room is next to the lilac bush. I dab on more Lily of the Valley perfumed cream. Sleep comes in waves of scents and sounds. It is sweet and soft.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ooooh, I like these memories :)

TesoriTrovati said...

What a lovely memory.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Right Turn ArtWerks said...

Beautiful Mallory, you're a good writer and that's a great memory.