Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Mermaid's Song - July Art Spark Challenge

Each Month
presents its readers with a challenge.
This month's Art Spark was to be
inspired by nature.
The true challenge was to be inspired and produce a piece of jewelry 
that was unique in every sense of the word.
Forget the butterflies and dragonflies.
Experience nature and let that guide you in your creation.
Wow!
My challenge was there.
Lately, it's just been way too hot here to do anything to appreciate nature in its rawest and true form.
We really are having a tropical heat wave.
Wave?
My mind raced back to my childhood.  I grew up in New Mexico.  It's a land of desert and dryness.  It was HOT there, too.  However,
some of my favorite memories were when we packed up the car and headed to visit aunts, uncles and cousins in California.
I remember playing while the "old people" enjoyed themselves sitting outside and telling stories of their childhood exeriences.
Then came the day we were all waiting for.
We headed for the beach for the day.
I remember how HOT and crowded the beach was.
I remember racing towards the water, jumping over the really little kids, and hitting that water with a loud, hard splash.
We picked up whatever shells we could find.  There were thousands and thousands of tiny nautilus shells,
and if we ever found a whole shell, we would try to pry it open to find a real pearl inside.
 We didn't care what kind of shell it was.  To us, it might contain a real pearl!
Then, there was that evening, when we were heading home,
tired and sunburned after playing all day in the sand and surf,
I heard a silken cry.
I thought I saw a mermaid's tail splash in the water near the setting sun.
I was too little to have a camera.
I never heard that sound again.
I really think I saw a mermaid that day.
Now, if you like, click
to see all the entries for July!
Will you be inspired by nature?
You still have time to enter.
Take a breath, and off you go!!!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Pretty

angelinabeadalina said...

I loved your description of the day at the beach with family... and the magical mermaid moment at the end. The necklace is awesome with the mellow colors and the mermaid tail.

rosebud101 said...

Thanks, Ang!
Thanks, `sjts!