Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Yesterday was a House Cleaning Day!


Yesterday was a lot like today--unseasonably cool and rainy. Days like that propel me into the cleaning mode. I attacked a closet with vigor and vim! Well, maybe not so much vigor and vim, but enough to pull everything out and start again. I took some items to the thrift store right away. I didn't even want to be tempted to keep them. I sorted through boxes full of memories. I laughed. I cried. I remembered. Then, in the back, way back, of the closet, I pulled out one small shoe box. Here's what I found! Some wonderful little treasures!







It's not finished yet, but it's a miniature quilt I was piecing together a long time ago when I used to quilt. This quilt is called Grandmother's Flower Garden. I only have two blocks left to piece, so I might get back to this during the winter time.






















These are the last two blocks I have to piece. I had the foresight to cut many, many little white hexagons, so I won't have to worry about matching fabric. If my memory serves me right, I started this quilt almost 20 years ago when we still lived in Chicago. I have no idea, now, why I quit working on this small quilt, but I did.























Wrapped up next to that little unfinished quilt were these treasures. I'm fairly sure they belonged to my grandmother. It looks like the lace is tatted and/or crocheted. The spools are wooden. Look at those buttons! They are truly vintage!























These buttons are my favorites! I might take them down with me when I torch. I think they'd make great beads!

Now, it's still raining and cool. I feel the urge to clean. I wonder what I'll find today!

1 comment:

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love these buttons! They would make fantastic beads!