Monday, July 14, 2008

The Walk Home from the Parade

I checked the mileage of the hill I needed to walk down to get to the parade and back up to return home. It was exactly 1/2 mile from the top to the bottom and from the bottom to the top. This hill is a very steep hill that is cut in half by a very busy street. When you look at the photos of my climb up the hill, you are truly going to wonder where the street has gone. Trust me, it's there. But before we look at the hill, look at my prize from the parade! I caught this neat key ring! I really like it and plan to put it to good use!


At this point, I am not going to narrate the photos. I just want you to look at the natural beauty of this hill I climbed on the way home. The sides of the road are completely balanced with nature. There is not human interference. Beautiful weeds are allowed to live. Natural grasses grow undisturbed. As you walk by you can hear the chirping of the crickets and tree frogs. As hard and steep as that hill is to climb, the beauty is a total distraction to the effort of climbing. I didn't think about how hot and sweaty I was--until I walked in my front door. I didn't think about the sweat that was pouring down my back, until I felt it was necessary to climb in the shower. The beauty of nature in the city caused me to pause, which was good, because then I could allow my breathing to slow down a bit from the climb. So what do you think?









1 comment:

angelinabeadalina said...

What a lovely walk that is, Mallory. I really like undisturbed plants like that-- some bit of the wild that used to be everywhere is echoed in that. Hey, I like the keychain, too. Hope somebody tosses grownup prizes like that along with the kiddie candy next parade here!