Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Dear September

Dear September,

I remember when I used to greet you with a bit of bitter and a bit of sweet.

The sweet was the fact that summer was over, and the kids were returning to school.

The bitter was the fact that summer was over and the kids were returning to school.

Being a mother and having been a teacher,
I felt the emotions on both sides.
It was a relief not to hear the drama of "I'm bored," but it was a fist clenching few days as we prepared to welcome our students into the classroom.



 September, I don't consider you a month of drama, but I do consider you a month of transition, a month of  
quiet change.

There will be a few warm days, truthfully, Hot days.  I remember when my kids would go without light jackets or sweaters and freeze on the way to school, or they would wear their jackets, jeans, and long sleeved shirts, only to find that they were a sweaty mess when they came home.

Now, September is just September. 
"It is what it is."
I am retired.
The kids are adults and have not lived at home in many years.
They like September since the cooler weather makes it easier to exercise outside and enjoy those last few friendly gatherings outside.
The state fair is going right now.
The weather is great for that.

September, sometimes, you fool me.
Sometimes, I come home a sweaty mess, and some days I trust you, and I freeze.
What to do?  What to do?

The air is cooler now.
I like that.
September, what have you got in store for us?
I guess we'll wait and see. 

No comments: