Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Now, that's what I call Beautiful!

This would be a little bit late in New Mexico, 
but in Minnesota, 
it's just about right.

I'm roasting green chiles right now.
It's a tradition I brought with me from my homeland.

They used to be hard to find.
Relatives would send me gunny sacks of green chiles
so that I could roast and freeze.

My kids watched the process evolve.

I used to roast the chiles in my broiler.
I'd cover them with Crisco and let them blacked in the flames.
They'd cool in the sink, and when they were cooled, I would 
peel the skins off the chiles, place them in a freezer bag, and we would enjoy them for the rest of the year.

After that, because there was so much grime to clean off the oven,
I turned to the grill.

I'd use spray on the grill and then I'd cover the chiles in crisco and let them blacken. 
They'd go back in the sink, cool, be skinned and enjoyed in the Minnesota winters.

Now, I only have a few chiles to roast, but the smell is heavenly!
Yes, it's smoke, but it is wonderful!

These green chiles will be eaten in a day or two.
They won't last any longer than that.
It's a nice day, so I have the doors open to let out the smoke.
This smell takes me back,
and 
I like the trip of the memories.

I hope I can do this again next year!

No comments: