Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Easy Peasy Wire Bead Tutorial

There are many ways to make a wire bead.
This is how I do it, 
and,
it's very easy to do.
Here's what you need.
Wire (I like 20gauge the best.)
a ruler
wire cutters
pliers
a mandrel of some sort
(I used a steel chopstick, but I also use knitting needles for mandrels.)
and one thing not shown
a small file
 Cut about 18 inches of wire.
Begin to wrap the wire around the mandrel about 5 times for a smaller bead.
If you want to make a larger bead, cut a longer length of wire and wrap it more times around the mandrel.
Squeeze the end flat on the mandrel.

To secure the wire, make a loop and thread the wire into the loop. 
Using your pliers, pull the wire through the loop.
Begin to wrap the wire around your base, and, at times, secure the wire by pulling it through a loop you make on the bead.
As you finish your bead, make sure to tuck the excess wire into the bead.  Feel around the bead for sharp edges.  Use your file to take care of the sharp edges.
Here's the completed bead.
Here's the bead hole.  You can make the bead hole smaller by using a smaller mandrel.  
All of these beads are made with 20 gauge wire.
My favorite craft wire is Para Wire.  It is excellent wire.
In this photo, I also used copper, brass and dark annealed wire.
See what I mean?
Easy peasy!

5 comments:

somethingunique said...

Hi thanks for that great tutorial i will definatly use it. I was wondering do you know of a shop on etsy that sells parawire i use artistic right now but am not happy with the colors i make bling rings with it and it peels so easily ttfn L:)

Amy F said...

neat! thanks!!

Maggie said...

Thanks for sharing! I was thinking of trying to make something like these. I want to try those wire bird's nests and these would be cute with them.

Cherlyl said...

Thank you so much for your instructions - I will definitely try these!!!

Dionne said...

Thanks so much for a very nice article. will definitely post this on our website soon.
Diybeadingclub.com
Diylessons.org
Handmade-Jewelry-Club.com