Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Small Part of My Life will Leave My Home Today


I was eight years old when my mother stretched her budget to make sure I had a piano so that I could learn to play.
I did learn, too, but like most kids, I really didn't appreciate the gift I was given.
I enjoyed the piano, but I tensed up terribly and couldn't play very well when it came to recitals.
I was absolutely terrified.
My fingers stiffened up.
My body was rigid.
I played without emotion.

My poor mother, she worked hard to be able to afford that piano.
I don't know how she did it.
I really don't.
However, she just smiled when I froze and assured me that all was well.
Talk about unconditional love!
 
She was an amazing woman!
Because of her, I developed strength that would carry me through some very hard years.
Because of her, I never forgot who I was and that I was so special.
Because of her, when things got tough,
I learned to turn to God because of the faith that she instilled in me at an early age.
Because of her, I am the person I am today.

Because of her, I learned that I am worthy of love and that I am loved.
So much happened because of her.

Today, this piano leaves my home.
I'm giving it to my church.
I'm happy with that.
I think she would be happy with that development, too.

This piano will take with it many memories of children who plunked on it, but refused to practice their piano.
This piano will take with it the places we've lived.
This piano will take with it a love of music.
This piano will take with it a love of art.
This piano will take with it memories of fun!
 

I am so happy that there is so much happiness associated with this piano.
Now, it will have a new history.
I'm glad about that.

It's only a small part of my life, but it is an important part of my life.
Change happens.
Inevitable.

I'm happy.
 
 

2 comments:

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

I was so touched to read your post, Mallory. It brought back such memories for me. Like yours, my family was financially on the straight and narrow. It was a time when we had to save up cash if we wanted "extras"; I remember even cars were paid in cash (Dad bought new about every ten years after saving up).

I think that's how my Dad was able to buy me that piano the Christmas I was thirteen, by dipping into the "car fund". I only took formal lessons for about a year and a half, but it sparked a love of music that has remained throughout the intervening 40 years. I taught myself to sing and sight read based on those music theory lessons of my childhood.

I, too, dreaded those recitals! I think all that kept me at my seat, and got me through, was the sight of Mum and Dad watching so proudly. They are both gone now. That old piano has remained with me; I still play when required, but my real joy is singing. When I stand to sing at church this Christmas Eve, I'll be thinking of my parents, who gave me the priceless gifts of music and faith, and for me the two are inextricably linked.

Lori Anderson said...

Lovely post! My mom sold my piano when I went into the USAF. This Christmas Santa is bringing mommy and Zack a keyboard.