Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's Amazing what a Simple Act of Kindness Can do for the Soul


It's sort of like a warm fuzzy------------------->
Spike knows the feeling. I do, too, now.

Today was a gloomy day to start. Clouds and more clouds. There were dots of snow and a bits of ice. No sun. Just gloom. That did nothing for my mood which wasn't the greatest anyway.

Spike was smart. He just stayed in bed covered up and away from me. He sensed my mood.

I had to go shopping after torching. My torching session yielded nothing, and I do mean and emphasize, nothing but FUGLIES. I quit early because the muse stayed away, too.

Luckily, I didn't have to go grocery shopping or the world might not be spinning on its axis if I had. That's the kind of mood I was in this morning.

It was nearly lunch time when I left. Knowing I had to purchase a gift card at a certain restaurant, I opted to have lunch there. The waitress was absolutely wonderful. I remember thinking, "This is so nice having someone to take care of me for a change." She fussed and helped me tremendously. Of course, her tip was appropriate for that. I left feeling a bit better, but it was still cold and damp and cloudy. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Next stop was at a department store. I had to pick a few items. I found them all on sale. The foul mood seemed to be lifting a bit. Then it happened. I got in line behind a lady who had a 30% off coupon. She was talking to the cashier, and she commented that it was the last day to use it. (Yes, you could use it on any sale items, too.) The coupon was scanned, and the cashier told this wonderful woman to save the coupon in case she came back later that day because it was good for the rest of the day. As the lady turned to leave, she walked back to me and quietly slipped the coupon into my hand. I never got her name! What a sweetheart! I know she won't read this because she said that she didn't have internet access, so she has no idea how this simple and humorous gesture lifted the negative cloud that was hanging over my head! Thank you, dear lady, where ever you are! Wow! So as I left, I saw a woman standing in line. I asked her if she had a coupon. "No," she said, "I don't." I handed her the coupon and left.

I don't know if it was as much of a day brightener for her as it was for me. I hope it was. All I know is that the simple kindness of a stranger improved my day for me. Thank you.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

It's the simple things in life that really count. Thanks for reminding me of that today.

Kim said...

That is always so great to run into those people who are willing to do something for someone for nothing in return. It makes you feel good and no doubt them too. Glad it was a day-brightener for you.

angelinabeadalina said...

Kindnesses like that are not easily forgotten, are they? I knew before reading that far that you would pass it along, Mallory :)