Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Gasp! My daughter turned 31 today!


I honestly don't know how that's possible--how she could really be 31! I remember the day she was born. She was so cute, and, even at that age--fiesty. When she was 3 days old, she realized that when I patted her on the back, I wanted her to burp, so she started to fake burps on that day. When she was 2 months old, and I would nurse her, she realized that if she bit me, not only would her dad laugh, but I would yelp, and she would laugh. As a baby, I knew that she would be a handful. When she was 4 months old, she learned to scream at the top of her lungs. She thought that was fun, and she would simply scream and scream and scream. Of course, that was a day when everyone I knew called, and kept asking me what was the matter. A neighbor came over and asked if everything was all right. Jenny just kept laughing and screaming. Jenny's childhood was much the same. When she was five, we were at the mall. She heard a group of women speaking in Spanish. Jenny walked up to them, and spoke in "her Spanish," which, of course was jibberish. Four grown women stopped talking and just stared at her as I grabbed her and pulled her away. She told me later, "I was talking to those ladies, Mom." She was rather upset with me because I made her leave the conversation. Then, at another time during her 4th year of life, we were discussing an issue about her behavior. I looked at her and said, "I'll bet you think I am really stupid, don't you?" Her mouth dropped. Her eyes popped open, and she replied, "HOW did YOU know?" She was amazed that anyone so dumb could figure that out. Even now, when we discuss issues, I still see the eyes roll, and that look that she had on her face at 4 years old returns. I know, how could anyone who is as dumb as me, know anything? Well, I know something she doesn't. She's older than I am. I'm 21. For the rest of my life, my children will be older than I am. Isn't that wonderful? Happy Birthday, Jenny, and may you have many, many more! And when you do, I will always be 21.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Happy Birthday Jenny :o)

Poor you having such a dumb Mom.....yeah right!!!


Psst Mallory - didn't ya know that only intelligent people quit while they're ahead. I'd say quitting at 21 is pretty dayum smart. You must be a lot cleverer than I - because I quit at 29 & there I will stay for ever & ever.

Maggie said...

Feliz Cumpleanos Jenny! Don't you just love the way moms embarrass their children!

angelinabeadalina said...

Happy Birthday, Jenny! Bet it was a fun one with your Mom. Bet you didn't know there would come a day when she'd be ten years younger than you, either, huh?

Ohmygosh, I had one of those keyboard in danger of being flooded moments when I read about the "Spanish" conversation, LOL! Jenny, my Katie is a lot like you, so it gives me high hopes to see how well you've turned out :)

marcy said...

Aw, I loved this post. You and I have something in common. Smart and very fiesty adult daughters.

Marcy