Monday, September 8, 2008

Inspiration! Inspiration! Wherefore Art Thou?


When I catch my muse sneaking off for a vacation, I try to grab her back before she can leave. Many times, I am able to do just that, but many times I cannot. When I cannot, I find I have to rely on my senses, my thoughts, and my mistakes. Yes, I have found that my mistakes are some of my best sources of inspiration. So, where do I begin?
Many times, I hear a song that won't leave my brain. I hear it over and over and over and over until it becomes a bead. Take a look at this. You might be too young to remember the song this bead is based upon, but, then again, maybe not.
Do you remember the Flying Purple People Eater? This is my version of that song. My little guy is sitting on his wings.



Many times, the work of other artists inspires me. I was fortunate to be able to take a class from Anne Ricketts at the Gathering in 2007. I have always liked her work, and she inspires me even when my muse departs for other regions of the world. Check out Anne's ETSY store, too. She's got some great tutorials--ever more for inspiration! Thank you, Anne! This is a heart I made using one of her tutorials.


















Then Nature comes to mind. Now, with autumn upon us, there are so many opportunities for inspiration. I love Brown Eyed Susans and sunflowers!


















Food is also a good source of inspiration, too. How doesn't like ice cream, especially in pink and white?



















This last idea came for a cyber friend and fantastic artist--AngelinaBeadalina. If you have never read her blog, please do. You won't be disappointed. Also, please visit her ETSY store. I read Ang's blog the other night, and she talked about bubble wrap. The next day I made this bead. I call it Bubble Wrap.

















Doesn't this look like a roll of bubble wrap? How cool is that?

So, until my Muse returns, I think she's with Stromboli on a desert island some where, I will rely on all I can find around me. I have a song going through my head now. Hmmmm. I'd tell you what it is, but you might start singing it, too. Here's a hint: it involves a yellow polka dot bikini.
Now, quit singing it! I dare you!

2 comments:

angelinabeadalina said...

She wore an itty bitty yellow polka dot bikini. . .Hey, I knew the one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater as soon as you said it came from a song. He's a cutie!

And the bubblewrap is just plain Pop-Pop-Pop-a-licious! Thanks for all the kind words (and patience; I haven't forgotten the email).

Deb said...

Two, three, four
Tell the people what she wore

She was afraid to come out of the locker
She was as nervous as she could be
She was afraid to come out of the locker
She was afraid that somebody would see.....

Ok enough of my singing -lol! Blame my Mum she used to sing that to us when we werre little!! No she wasn't strange....I'm sure she used to sing Brahms Lullabye when we were really small - but I don't recall it.

Grab that muse by her coctail glass & make her return Mallory - there is a really great article on inspiration up on Eni Okens new website. I'll try & find a link.