Friday, September 19, 2008

What Shall We Blog About Today, Spike?


When I asked him this question, Spike just sat down and looked at me. I understood immediately. Not only did he want his picture taken, but he wanted me to blog about him! I took his picture, but I still thought, "I don't know what to write in this blog." Well, what better to write about than one of my very best friends. You guessed, it, Spike! Now, this isn't going to be one of those sentimental blogs that will bring tears to your eyes or mine. I just want to talk about this silly dog. I took Spike in for his rabies shot, probably his last since he is now 11 years old. The vet decided that, even though he is in excellent health, that she should have one of the "talks" with me about end of life issues. She pointed out to me that, even though he is very healthy today, Dobbies are prone to heart disease, and when that becomes apparent, especially at his age, they do go downhill very quickly. In all honesty, I found that comforting because I don't want him to suffer, but I also don't want to take him in for the final shot. Anyway, after our visit, I started to think about what this dog has meant to me over the years.
I've never owned a puppy before. He was such a cute puppy, but so naughty. I've never owned a dog who liked to wear clothes. Now that he's getting older, he gets cold very quickly, so I buy him some handmade sweaters from Hoverfly on ETSY. Celeste also has a dobbie, so she is able to fit Spike properly with her handmade sweaters. They do keep him warm, and he loves to wear them. The only time I gave into Spike's love for clothing was for Halloween a couple of years ago. I bought him a Superman costume that he loves to wear when we go out for our w-a-l-k-s. Other than that, the only "bling" he wears are scarves around his neck. When they come off, he brings them back to me to put on him again. A friend of mine pointed out how much Spike loves to pose for pictures. When I would show her his latest photo, she'd say, "He really does like to pose." She used to have a cat that did the same thing, so she could see the same behaviors. Some days Spike will whine when he sees me taking photos of beads. When I turn the camera on him and take a few shots, Spike goes away, very content. All right, I think I'm going to stop here. This is just a silly, sappy post about a silly, sappy dog. That's okay. He is 11, and I'm younger than him! Whew! There's really someone older than me in the neighborhood. That aside, I'm just being sentimental. Spikie, I love you!

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Spike, I love you too!

Mallory, I don't know how anyone can not love Spike when looked at through your eyes.