Thursday, September 25, 2008

More of My Favorite Things


Yesterday, I talked about some of my favorite things--tools that I use for lampworking! Today, along with "Rain drops on roses, and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens," I want to show you some more of my favorite things and how I use them. Lets get busy, shall we?










This is one of my favorite tools. It's a tube shaper from Cattwalk Tools. I use it every day. Whenever I begin a bead, whether it's tube shaped or not, I shape and reshape the bead using this tube shaper. It's got a good solid wood handle, and there are 5 different sizes of grooves to shape your beads. I even use it to shape cones! It works!



















A lampworker always needs a marver. This is my "new" one. My original marver came loose, and the handle has slipped off. So, I ordered this one. It's bigger, and I use it every single day. The only thing I don't like about it is that the handle is made of a metal that gets very cold in the winter. The rest of the marver is made of graphite. Love it!


















This is my most recent purchase of tools. I bought it from a member of Lampwork Etc. who makes these tools and brass shapers. Check out her Etsy Store. I like it because it mashes flat. There are no curves in it. It works well for many of the beads I make. It's also made of brass.


















I have a second set of mashers. These mashers are longer than my mini mashers, but I like them because, with these, you can't squeeze as hard as you can with the mini mashers. I use them for making discs and the discs you need to make to make hollow beads. Love them! I don't remember where I bought them, but I'm so glad I did!

That's segment 2 of my favorite things. Tomorrow, the last installment of my favorite things.

3 comments:

Rita'z R-tistic Ramblez said...

Mallory, That tube shaper looks great!! I'll bet you use it a lot. Nice marver, too.

Deb said...

Great tools Mallory - you have quite a collection.

Pam @ The Blue Between said...

oh that flat masher tool is the best - way better than a bbq masher (mine is rusty and crooked so I don't use it... I need one of those table top jobies! You do have a great collection!